August 22, 2017          Login  
 
 
 
Home
 
 
 
Elected Officials
 
 
 
City Departments
 
 
 
City Services
 
 
 
Online Services
 
 
 
City News
 
 
 
Our Community
 
 
 
Minutes & Agendas
 
 
Our CommunityCommunity History   
 

History:

Prior to 1833 a lot of New Yorkers settled in mid-Michigan. A prominent governor of New York was DeWitt Clinton. Our County was named Clinton after him and since DeWitt was the County Seat at the time, the community was named DeWitt.

Read the Full History

Timeline of Historical Events: 

Year  Event 
1833: Captain David Scott settles what is to become present-day DeWitt. 
1839 - 1857:  DeWitt serves as the county seat. 
Late 1850's:  DeWitt suffers the first of many decades of economic stagnation when the County Seat is moved to St. Johns
Early 1900's:  Prosperity returns to DeWitt with the opening of the Lansing and Suburban Electric Railway through the community and the surge of well-to-do farmers that begin retiring to the area.
1929:  DeWitt is incorporated as a Village
1930: Fire destroys downtown business district and several historical buildings. Residential development continues, and begins DeWitt's evolution into a bedroom community 
1964:  The DeWitt Police Department begins providing service...read Police department history 
1965:                DeWitt is designated as a City 
1960's & 70's:  Growth continues as the Lake Geneva area and Millbrook Meadows are annexed into the city
1980: The City approved a contract to replace the Schavey Road Bridge through the Critical Bridge Funding Program, a project that was completed in 1981. 
1981:  DeWitt's Downtown Development Authority is created to promote economic growth and increase downtown property tax value in the business district. 
1983:  City Council passes a resolution creating the Building Authority to address the need to increase space at the City Offices. 
1985:  DeWitt Road is realigned and widened from Herbison Road north to the intersection of Bridge and Main Streets 
1986:  DeWitt Municipal Offices are remodeled and expanded through the efforts of the Building Authority without a tax increase 
1987:  A pavilion was constructed at McGuire Park thanks to funds donationed by long-time DeWitt resident Orla McGuire 
1988:  City creates Special Assessment districts for street improvements; becomes second city in the state to finance by privatization. 
1989:  A new fire station, the Arthur F. Newman building, is constructed; Street improvements to East Main Street are completed using 100% State grant money 
1990:  The City begins to upgrade their operations. The City purchased an IBM compatible (NOVELL network) computer system. 
1992: Voters elect 9-member Charter Commission to completely redraft the City Charter; DDA receives $27,000 Community Development Block Grant from the Department of Commerce. Curbside recycling was approved by Council for residential homes. 
1993:  The enhanced 9-1-1 service became available. Orla McGuire bequeathed to the City a parcel of property adjacent to River Trail Park. The City also received the designation  as a Tree City USA. 
1994:  Voters approve the redrafted City Charter; City enters into Sister City agreement with Konan-cho, Japan 
1995:  The revised City Charter became effective January 1, 1995. The revised City Charter required the City Council to adopt an Ethics Policy Ordinance by which all persons in municipal service had to abide. It becames effective on December 1, 1996. 
1997:  The City authorizes the replatting of a large number of parcels north and south of the Looking Glass River 
1998: City authorizes the Building Authority to proceed with park development projects made possible through a grant from the MDNR. The bicycle and pedestrian pathway was adopted by council. 
2000:  City Council approves a Water System Agreement between the City and the Lansing Board of Water and Light transferring the supplying of water and operation and maintenance of the water system to the Board. 
2001:  The City accepted the bid from Capital Consultants for providing professional services in establishing the City's web site.  The City authorized the acceptance of credit card payments for property taxes using Official Payments Corporation. 
2002:  The DeWitt Area Fire & Rescue Authority (City of DeWitt, Riley Township and Olive Township) was established January 1, 2002.  The City began accepting credit card payments for any type of payment except property taxes. 
2003:  In 2002, installation of sanitary sewer began on Turner Street. In 2003, the Turner Street Sanitary Sewer Installation Project was completed.  In July of 2003 an agreement between the City of DeWitt and DeWitt Charter Township created the DeWitt Area Recreation Authority (DARA). Adoption of the Storm water Management Ordinance. 
2004: Millbrook Meadows Subdivision local street improvements; 9-11 Memorial at City Cemetery; Created a Healing Garden area at City Cemetery. 
2005:  CNN/Money voted DeWitt as the 75th best place to live in U.S.; East Webb Drive Reconstruction Project; Initiated process for an Assessor's Plat for 67 lots in the Southeast area of the City; Implemented new City Logo and approved WBI Cable TV Franchise for 15 Years.
2006:  The Planning Commission worked on revising the zoning ordinance throughout the year.  The Freedom Walkway was added onto the Healing Garden connecting the 9-11 memorial and the veterans monument. 
2007:  Resurfacing project began on East Main Street; Demolition of the Digester Building (Round Room) removed. New restrooms at McGuire Park; New City entrance signs (8); Complete revision of City's Zoning Ordinance. 
2008:  DeWitt Celebrates 175 Years! 
2009:  The All Kids Playground was constructed in April. The Ribbon Cutting Ceremony was held August 18th, 2009. 
2010:  City Treasurer, Lisa M. Grysen was appointed to a combined position of Clerk-Treasurer after the retirement of City Clerk, Denice M. Smith. 
2011:  The City of DeWitt presents the DeWitt Millennium Garden Club with a proclamation making their organization the 2011 Citizens of the Year.

Via a grant, the DDA installed an electric car charger at the corner of S. Bridge and W. Main Street and a Plug-In Ceremony was celebrated on September 13, 2011.
2012: 
Senator Mitt Romney and Presidential nominee visited Downtown DeWitt and made a special stop at Sweetie-licious Pies.

Hometown American gymnast, Jordyn Wieber and member of the gold medal -winning US Women's Gymnastics Team performed at the 2012 Summer Olympics in England. 
2013: February 1, 2013 Bruce Ferguson was sworn-in as the new Police Chief for the City of DeWitt, replacing Chief Larry Jerue.
2014: Through a grant from LEAP (Lansing Economic Area Partnership) the City of DeWitt selected Artist Dace Koenigsknecht to design a sculpture to be constructed at Memorial Park. The unveiling of this beautiful art sculpture took place on June 5, 2014.